[Yum] yum failover url problem.

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 17:47, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 17:09 +0530, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> > Now the scenario is this. I have a local yum-repository of RH9 updates,
> > from which I deleted several corrupted rpms, so it is missing some
> > rpms...about 15 of them.
> >
> > In the update url, I have given two urls...first of the local repository
> > and second of the duke mirror. Now, when yum reaches the first missing
> > file, it switches to the second failover url of the duke mirror, but it
> > does not switch back to the faster and local mirror for getting other
> > files. It keeps downloading files from the remote, ignoring the local
> > repository.
> >

> That's correct, once a mirror has failed it is never restored. Why would
> yum oscillate back and forth if it has already experienced one as a
> failed mirror?

Well Seth

It does not matter when you have got a fat pipe and can connect to
multiple repositories. But, believe me...if you got a slow dial-up link
and yum can recognize a LOCAL repository (on the Lan), through a
configuration parameter, and prefers it over a remote repository and
uses the remote one only for the failed files...it really makes a
difference.

Of course, now the burden to ensure that local repository files are
uncorrupted, falls upon the user. Esentially one will have to write a
script to checksum & verify the file, delete & re-download the files
that fail. If these features are built into yum, it will help the new
users a lot.

Rsync can obviate the need to do that but it is not at all suited to
dial-up links prone to disconnections.

IAC, Tell me a bit about yourself.You seem to reply to most of the mails
on this list ;-)

Best regards.
Sanjay.