[Yum] kernel-source arch

seth vidal wrote :

> > How about something like "exactarch=glibc kernel kernel-smp" being
> > recognized? There are actually few packages for which the wrong arch
> > can lead to disaster, and there are many more for which it's no big
> > deal(like gzip, or 3rd party packages going from i386 to i586 because
> > of enabled mmx stuff etc.). Just a thought.
>
> That's probably not a bad idea but it has two problems:
>
> 1. it makes the updates processing mind numbingly difficult to follow

In practise, it's more difficult than just "do as if we had exactarch=1 for
the packages listed, do as if we had exactarch=0 for all others?" when
going through the dependency resolving?

> 2. it's a change that can't be made in the current stable branch b/c it
> will change too many people's config files in midstream.

Why would this be so? If 0/1 still works (ok... there will be a non-working
corner case, if someone wants exactarch for only a single package called "0"
or "1" ;-)), and if the implicit default stays the same, then all existing
installations shouldn't see any difference unless the config is changed, no?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.6-1.427
Load : 0.13 0.27 0.24