[Yum] kernel-source arch

Hi,

for being able to switch archs to noarch in a yum world, Arjan van de
Ven, kernel maintainer at redhat, renamed kernel-source to
kernel-sourcecode.

I think having to change the name for changing the arch is wrong. The
above change will break a lot of documentation and build scripts.

Isn't extactarch=0 what this would have fixed this? Why is exactarch
defaulting to 1?

The only reason I could imagine is that foo-1.2.3-4.bestarch.rpm is to
be replaced by foo-1.2.3-5.notbestarch.rpm because
foo-1.2.3-5.bestarch.rpm is missing. I'd consider that a repo bug, and
would prefer the package to be updated to a inferior arch but a higher
EVR.

This obviously is not true if the archs have different dependencies
like for x86_64 vs i386. But ix86/athlon/noarch and x86_64/norach for
instance should be freely interchangeable, or not?

What am I missing? Is renaming the kernel-source rpm the only choice
Arjan has for changing the arch in yum context? If exactarch=0 is not
adequate could yum provide some other mechanism?

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net