[Yum] hmmm my yum ate my computer.

[This is way way way off topic for this list - how repos organise
themselves is not an issue for the tool itself]

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 15:56, TheFinn wrote:
> I'm not really a basic user. I just thought it interesting that repositories
> don't really seem to take notice of what rpms work and what don't.

You assert that, although without evidence...

> X doesn't start anymore, some error i've never seen before. not quite sure
> what got updated there (fear).

Thats a different issue which can't be commented on without seeing what
the versions involved and surrounding packages are.

> But that's ok. It was more the fact that a
> required dependency wasn't included in the repository that DID include a
> package that needed it, which I thought interesting.

Not really.  I happen to build packages for exim.  My packages need a
pile of dependencies, including databases, authentication libraries
etc.  However I publish a repository that includes the exim packages
only - the deps you can get the from (in my case) the base and updates
repositories of the main OS release.  I do not include the whole damn OS
to go under the packages I build.

Livna publishes RPM packages which *should* be in the Fedora.US
repositories but cannot be due to legal complications.  It therefore
builds onto the Fedora.US repo and its packages may depend in other
packages in Livna or Fedora.US, as well as the RH/Fedora base/updates
repos.  It does not include all the deps since it would then have all of
RH/Fedora down to glibc, which would be silly.

> Don't they test ?

Don't you read the repository policy?

> I like yum except for one thing. Headers. If one could have yum without the
> header info building then you could point it at anything and it would check
> dependencies on the fly for any given rpm package. I am just wondering why
> there isn't yet a mode that it could run in like this.

You want to pull the complete repository to do dependency checking???

Or are you talking about local rpms, in which case make them into a
repository (1 command, and then edit yum.conf to include the directory
as a repo).

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ]