[Yum] hmmm my yum ate my computer.

you've partially missed what i'm getting towards....

i wouldn't dream of thinking that i or anyone else could say what your linux
box should be. what i can envision is a system that would allow you to point
to a given app, and say i want appx (or appy), and it would more or less
walk through the steps to "correctly" install/build that app on your box.
even if the process called for it to figure out/modify dependencies etc...
and it would efficiently do it for multiple apps/versions/os's...

lindows/linspire/cnr is nowhere close to what i'm describing, although it's
a lot closer than anything else out there...

you see, while some figure that yum/apt-get/etc... are quite sufficient,
there are plenty of people who get da*m tired of dealing of having to figure
out the dependency issues.

i for one would welcome a system that does everything that i've
described!!!!!

particularly if it didn't cost me anything for basic functions...

but this is just my $0.02 worth!! your opinion may vary...

and yeah, i'm pretty sure that this kind of approach would generate serious
income...

peace!