[Yum] suggestion for package policy option

Hello YUM mailing list,

For package policy options, in addition to "newest"
and "last", how about "n days old", where "n" is an
integer typed into yum.conf?  Take 10 days as an
example.

This change could allow more systems to automate the
update process -- run YUM as a cron job.

The idea is that if an updated package has been out
there for (say) 10 days without any superseding
update, it is unlikely to have a major problem.

I am associated with the cAos distribution, which uses
YUM.  I was drawn to cAos in large part because it
uses YUM and can automate the update process.

I wrote a YUM HowTo to explain setting YUM up for
automatic updates.

http://www.caosity.org/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=102&op=page&SubMenu=

After putting it up there and drawing attention to it,
I immediately came under attack from those who
maintain that updates should never be automated.

In comparison, the book "Red Hat Linux Internet
Server" by Paul G. Sery & Jay Beale, published by
RedHat Press in 2003, says this on page 405:

"The principle [sic] strength of automating any part
of the process is that your systems get updated more
uniformly and more often.   We see too many
compromised systems that would have been safe if
they'd just had the latest fixes to not mention this
benefit!  So, while you should still be cautious with
any automated update solution on production systems,
this one is definitely worth checking out."

My proposal would not work for all systems, but could
work for systems using common hardware without any
specialized kernel or application modifications.

For what it is worth, I will be attempting to write a
HOWTO explaining the options in yum.conf.  (I am a
Python newbie -- I have read a couple of books, and I
am reading another, but I have not yet written code
that does anything.  At some point in the future, I
could try modifying YUM myself, but I am not there
yet.)

Thanks for YUM.

Rick Graves
gravesricharde@xxxxxxxxx