[Yum] FC1 upgrade from rh8, 2.6.7 kernels

Greetings all;
This was posted previously to the fedora list, along with a bunch of
followups, none of which has resolved the problem.

yum seems to have self-destructed with its last update run a couple of
days ago.  It was working fine till after that, but now I have at
least 2 programs that don't run/compile.  Yum doesn't run, returning
this error:

[root@coyote /]# yum update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yumcomps
  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
    import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined
symbol: xmlByteConsumed
[root@coyote /]#
---------------
And I will categorically deny doing anything to my python install that
a yum update didn't do.  The only housekeeping I've done in the last
month was that I discovered I had 2 identically named qt libraries,
one in the qt3.3 tree, and one in the qt.3.1 tree, so the 3.1 tree
got nuked.  It wasn't in my ld.so.conf anyway.

Addendum:  I have since attacked the python install verification from
many different angles, all of which confirm that the python install
isn't contaminated.  Yum has been removed and reinstalled using the
latest version also.

Whats next here?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.