wish-list again was Re: [Yum] sticky repositories

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 13:41, seth vidal wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 16:39, Florin Andrei wrote:
>

>>>I would like to configure yum so that it will only update packages with
>>>updates from their own repositories of origin.
>>>E.g., if i'm using a package from the official Fedora distribution, "yum
>>>update" should only update it with the official Fedora updates. But if i
>>>manually update that package to a newer version from another repository,
>>>yum should track only that particular repository for updates for that
>>>package.
>>>
>>>Essentially, that could be defined as "sticky repositories".
>>>
>>>Is that currently achievable with yum?
>>
>>no and tracking an installed package back to it's repository of origin
>>is going to be prone to failure.
>

> Hm, then this is a rather serious usability problem with yum.
>
> Suppose i need a package that's not in the official Fedora distribution.
> I find a repo which carries it. I add the repo to yum.conf. I run "yum
> install blah". I leave the repo in yum.conf uncommented.
> A week later i do a "yum install". Lo and behold, all of a sudden all
> packages from that newer repo which have a version number newer than the
> corresponding ones in the official Fedora distro will get downloaded and
> installed. Sometimes this is good (but very rarely), but more often this
> could wreak havoc to my system (it did happen).

the situation is more complicated. suppose you wanna install x which
depend on y, but y is in both the base distro and in the distro contains
x, but you would like to install y from the base and just y from the
other repo. currently you can't do it with yum (or you have to always
edit yum.conf:-(().

my wish-list for yum are still:
- set prefered or priority of repos (like the above example)
- faster dependency (hopefully in the new yum)
- correct identification of the repo which a given package comes from
(using the pkgid)