[Yum] yum dep resolution-offer of help

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 06:45, Raphael Clifford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that the dependency resolution stage of yum can be
> painfully slow.  To give an example, I am running yum 2.0.4 on redhat 9
> and "yum install xine" has been at that stage for several minutes now
> with the CPU at near 100 percent utilisation.  It seems to me, perhaps
> naively, that using the correct data structure and caching this should
> take no more than a second or two.  As a result I would like to offer to
> help redesign the algorithm used.  So what I really need is some
> technical information about what is required and who I should be in
> touch with.

Hi,
 you're right it can take up time and ram to resolve deps. A lot of that
has to do with the mechanism of rpm that yum uses. If you're familiar
with the dep resolution mechanisms of rpm then I'll just explain that
yum uses ts.addInstall(hdr, 'a') modes to let rpm decide what's 'best'
for it.

The work that is being done is to ditch this direction.
If you'd like to help look at:
http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/
and http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/import - specifically test.py - it's
just testing code but it's what I will break out to make the dep
resolution code.

Get your head wrapped around the packageSack search methods in that code
and that will be the direction I want to follow.

thanks.
-sv