[Yum] Re: Yum Digest, Vol 7, Issue 21

Yeah and it also looks as if at least one of the RPMs that I installed via
YUM isn't in the DB either.  Namely "rpm -qa | grep apache" gives nothin'
but I know that it certainly _is_ installed and running and the headers
are clearly visilbe in the YUM cache.  And, as if to taunt me, After I
finally managed to get (an old version of) Kile installed from rpm (after
much suffering) _that_ installation shows up in the RPM db.  I'm starting
to think, that, for some reason my system is hosed beyond the point of
utility of asking questions.  :-)~

> After doing my first YUM based activity - an upgrade from RH7.3 to 9 via
> the DULUG mirror - I installed some RPMs without YUM's help.  The new RPMs
> don't seem to be showing up in the RPM db.  Is the use of YUM exclusive?
> Is there some procedure that must be followed when installing or upgrading
> packages without the use of YUM?
> Thanks,

no - it is not exclusive at all.
so you installed some packages and when you rpm -q for them you don't
get them?

There is no special procedure - just install normally.

-sv
--
Lance McLean	TUNL High Resolution Laboratory
919.660.2539(office) 919.660.2640(lab)