[Yum] yum check

seth vidal wrote:

> So an interesting take would be to iterate over all the deps and
> provides and sort them out one for the other, so keep removing deps from
> the total list based on a provider until you either 1. had no remaining
> deps or 2. had nothing that provided for those deps. In the current .hdr
> format it's possible but kinda a pain in the ass. In the new metadata
> format I think it will be a lot easier to sort them and kinda a neat
> data mining experiment.

I was thinking the simple way to do it would be "install all packages".
  Add every available to the install list, check the dependencies, but
don't actually download or install the packages.  The dependency
resolver algorithm may not do this efficiently but it would at least
give some indication of incompatibilities between repositories and with
the current installed packages.

> As soon as I have yum working with the new metadata format I'll post
> some code and people can start tinkering.
>
> I'm really rather excited by the new metadata and so far I'm pleased
> with most of the results.

Is the metadata format described anywhere?  Since it is in XML, it would
be good to have a DTD.

  - Ian

--
ian@xxxxxxxxx