[Yum] repository verification

> And to make things worse: Some mirrors do not have correct permissions
> set for the different directories.
>
> And most of this is outside my control.
>
> To make it easier on my customers I wrote a little shell script which
> extract the possible mirrors from Yellowdoglinuxs mirror page.
> It then proceeds to select the fastest mirror by downloading the
> header.info file.
> That works well, but doesn't guard against that one of the faster
> mirrors has an error in the permissions for the rpm directory.
>
> What I would like is if yum-arch left a known dummy file (dummy.yum?)
> of ex 50K in each directory. Download of this file would guaranty that
> the directory is present and accessible.

Why not just set the mirrors up that DO have copies as multiple baseurls
to any given repository - then just use the failover mechanism?

Also this putting a yum-arch dummy file in a dir sounds KLUDGY - if your
mirrors are broken and unreliable then you need better mirrors, you
don't add in an ugly 'fix' like that to  yum-arch AND to yum.

-sv