[Yum] repository verification

This one is just one for the wish-list:

For my purpose there are 4 repositories to select out of a larger pool
of mirrors.

However - none of the mirrors carry all 4 repositories.

And to make things worse: Some mirrors do not have correct permissions
set for the different directories.

And most of this is outside my control.

To make it easier on my customers I wrote a little shell script which
extract the possible mirrors from Yellowdoglinuxs mirror page.
It then proceeds to select the fastest mirror by downloading the
header.info file.
That works well, but doesn't guard against that one of the faster
mirrors has an error in the permissions for the rpm directory.

What I would like is if yum-arch left a known dummy file (dummy.yum?)
of ex 50K in each directory. Download of this file would guaranty that
the directory is present and accessible.

Karsten