[Yum] Re: installroot and arch

Axel Thimm wrote:

> The main issue here is that rpm-cross compatibility would imply full
> cross-compatibility on the binary runtime level, as rpm %post etc.
> scripts may call arbitrary binary executables on the target host
> (i.e. scrollkeeper, /sbin/install-info, ldconfig).

I agree with "arbitrary binary executables", but not with the examples
that you gave. They are all basically updating some generic databases;
the same would even apply to rpm itself and this would not be too
difficult to get done in a cross-environment. Of course, doing it for
text/XML based databases is much easier than for binary ones, but even
there proper handling of word-size and endianness should not be too
hard.
The part which I think is more difficult is running an arbitrary
binary whose result depends on some hardware-specific /dev, /sys or
/proc entry being accessed (not only being present).

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx