[Yum] Re: installroot and arch

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 07:20:31PM +0200, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> Then the bad news: the part that is not doable is being able to
> specify an architecture whose $basearch is different from the install
> machine's $basearch (like sparc vs. i386). By fooling with
> archwork.getArch() I was able to make yum choose f.e. x86_64 packages
> on an i686, but rpm refused to install these packages. So unless some
> kind of "cross-rpm" (analogy to cross-compilation) comes up, this is
> not doable.

The main issue here is that rpm-cross compatibility would imply full
cross-compatibility on the binary runtime level, as rpm %post
etc. scripts may call arbitrary binary executables on the target host
(i.e. scrollkeeper, /sbin/install-info, ldconfig).

> The only exception would probably be making an i686/athlon
> installroot on a x86_64, in which case the patch would still be
> useful...

In general you can always chroot-install to backward compatible archs
as defined with arch_compat in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc, e.g. for "sparc"
you can use (only):

arch_compat: sun4c: sparc
arch_compat: sun4d: sparc
arch_compat: sun4m: sparc
arch_compat: sun4u: sparc64
arch_compat: sparc64: sparcv9
arch_compat: sparcv9: sparc

But not the other way around, e.g. compatibility is not symmetric.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net