[Yum] RPMs introduced in newer version of os (update vs upgrade)

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:33:45AM -0400, Paul Nesbit wrote:
> Currently ISO installs (via CD-ROM or network) aren't an option for
> a set of servers.  I'm curious if there's any value in using yum to
> perform upgrades where new packages must be introduced (a
> combination of yum upgrade and install), or if a bulk rpm -Fvh
> RPMS/* (or something similar) would be simplest.  If any list
> members have had this task to deal with and have any advice to
> share, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure if this will answer your question.  Over the past couple
years, lots of people have been doing yum upgrades from one version of
RHL to the next.  People have been known to do 7.3->8, 8->9, 9->FC1,
etc.  Now, little effort is made by the OS developers to make this
smooth, so you can expect a little trouble.  Basically, it involves
changing your repos, possibly upgrading *-release manually, and then
doing a 'yum upgrade'.  It's usually a bit iterative - you often have
to try it, see what packages cause trouble and remove them (yum
erase), and then try again.  I've never had it take more than about
two cycles of this, though.

Now, the other thing:  you can also do a something like (untested - I
don't remember the syntax I used):

box1% rpm -qa > packagelist
box2% xargs yum -t install < packagelist

(-t basically means "don't complain if it's already installed")

					-Michael

--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619