[Yum] Question/Suggestion

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:52:46PM -0700, Nathanael Noblet alleged:
> Hello,
> 	I just have a small question/suggestion for yum. I should say first
> that I appreciate the fact that yum exists. The one thing that I could
> use is something like a yum.d directory. Let me explain my problem,
> perhaps there is already a solution that isn't being used that I could.
> I use the distribution Tao-Linux which is a RHEL clone. It works great
> for what I use it for. The one problem is that I have my own repository
> for a select number of packages for a few of the systems. When the
> distribution updates the tao-conf package, it replaces /etc/yum.conf,
> which clobbers my additions to yum.conf. I thinking that having a

Ignoring your suggestion about yum.d, and focusing on Tao breaking your
yum.conf... here's a snippet from the Tao release notes, which suggests that
/etc/yum.conf is symlink that you are free to change.

   To keep your Tao Linux system updated, I've added in 'yum' and 'tao-yumconf'
   packages. In the default installation, /etc/yum.conf is a symlink to
   /etc/tao-yum.conf. The default config includes checking package signatures, so
   you won't be able to update untill you 'rpm --import
   /usr/share/doc/tao-release-*/RPM-GPG-KEY-tao'. Then, running 'yum update' will
   update your system, and fail if signature checking fails.

   From time to time, as official mirrors change, I will create new (signed)
   releases of tao-yumconf. However, I expect that some sysadmins will break the
   symlink and create their own /etc/yum.conf with local values. At that point,
   /etc/tao-yum.conf will be useful only as a reference.

University of Southern California