[Yum] Re: Cron Problems ...

Greetings ...

>>The problem I am
>>seeing on busy days, is that yum might fail somewhere and just sit in
>>memory ... leaving no other yum processor to run ... I normally only
>>find this out if I am the sys admin or when I tring and run yum myself
>>

>If yum is failing, it exits, if it is stopping then most likely your
>rpmdb has outstanding locks and yum can't get out of it.
>
>if you see yum hung up, kill the process then look in /var/lib/rpm
>
>chances are you have __db files in there, remove them.

    If I kill the last yum in ps -ax, and then rerun yum, it works with
no problems, downloading and updating.  No need to remove any files in
/var/lib/rpm.  I have seen this hang even if I run manually from a
console, it will start downloading and then stop, I'm sure it's waiting
for incoming data from the internet, but I don't know how to prove this
or help debug this problem ...

>>... Is there some really clever and neat way to get yum to stop during
>>office hours, and then again start after hours? I believe this will
>>really only work to when urlgrabber which yum uses and recover failed
>>downloads ... Can anybody shead some light on my problem, or should I
>>just wait until yum 3.0.0 which will even know what I want to install
>>before I do?
>>

>/etc/init.d/yum off

    That will not stop a yum process, but as you say below, only stop it
from running without my intervention ...

>that will keep it from running - then just turn it back on

    As I said, looking for a clever little shedule type system, which
will run the updates from time A to B when the internet connection is
not in general use ...

>- that will
>make it be able to run - hell - just change the time the cron job is run
>- take it out of cron.daily put it in cron.mycronjobs then put an entry
>in /etc/crontab or /etc/cron.d for it.

    I am going to mess around with when the cron job runs and see if
this helps ...

    But the main reason I posted this here, is to see if anybody else
was having similar problems with thier yum installations ... If I am the
only person having these problems, then I will find a work around that
works for me, but if not, it would be best to share ideas ...

Thanks
Mailed
Lee

>>P.S. Just showed a friend yum, and now he thinks Linux is it ... it's
>>kewl that I was able to download quite a few games to proof my point ...
>>Double Thanks.
>>

>With no offense to your friend - I think he's easily impressed ;)

    None taken, I'm sure there are alot of things that could improve the
image of Linux, but yum is one of them things that show themself off! ;-P