[Yum] Suggestion on yum download feedback and other things

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 12:36, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > Yum has out of the box been fairly non-verbose, with the exception
> > of listing all the headers downloaded.  Which brings up the point of
> > on the first run there can be hundreds of lines if not thousands. A
> > method should figured out that is a much less verbose default, and
> > maybe making the current behavior show up at a higher debug level.
>
> I agree that would produce less output, and for many people it would
> do what they want.  However, changing the log level of certain
> messages as a function of machine/server state seems to introduce
> great potential for confusion.  I (personally) don't think that's a
> worthwhile tradeoff.

By the way, I was wondering -- is there a way to mock a progress bar for
individual headers as one continuous download? E.g. we know that there
are N headers that we need to download. Instead of drawing a progress
bar for each of them, how about we draw one progress bar per all
headers. E.g.:

Downloading headers
xine-0.9.22-0.fdr.4.0.94. 10% |===                       | 15/200  02:11

The only thing that would change during the header download would be the
name of the header currently downloaded, the progress of the download,
and the count of downloaded/total. As each .hdr file is only a few kb in
size, drawing progress bars individually is really an overkill.

I see two benefits for this:
a) It's tidier as the screen doesn't just fly by the user
b) the user sees how many headers are left to download
c) this is consistent with other progress bar styles.

What does everyone think?

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev