[Yum] Autorebuild...

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> If yum as a client app could do transparent build from source rpm's, the
> marginal effort of an "upgrade" could be significantly reduced, as could
> the dependency on any distribution vendor at all.  This might not work
> for all kinds of packages -- some of them deal with hardware and
> complicated collectives of libraries and applications -- but it might
> work just fine for >>most<< of the packages in a given distribution.
> Furthermore, if the tool is built to support the paradigm, people will
> start building repositories and even assembling distributions that work
> with the paradigm.

I haven't seen any responses to this, but I'd just like to weigh in that
I think it's an excellent idea. I build a lot of rpm's from source on my
own, and have some homebrew makefiles to take care of building them.
Setting up the build environment is hit-or-miss however, requiring me to
manually install missing dependencies, and hope that the author didn't
leave any out. Integrating that process with yum allowing it to
automatically resolve BuildRequires would be awesome.

That being said, I'm not familiar with the yum source, so I don't know
if it's a task thats within scope for yum, and how difficult it would
be. Does rpmlib provide tools to query BuildRequires, and could
dependencies be graphed the same way for BuildRequires that they are for
dependencies?

I agree that if the tool is out there and works well, people will begin
to support it.

--erik