[Yum] Re: Questions about headers ...

>> This has been suggested before, and of course you can do it by hand, but
>> bandwidth is bandwidth and once the headers have been created/compressed
>> all you're really saving is the per-transfer overhead, not the bandwidth
>> per se.

>with keep-alive and http you're not gaining anything, really.
	Sorry, now I am confused, so you mean, even with a copy of my yum cache, I will still not again any bandwidth saving?

>> >    Another question, would it not be better to just download the
>> > headers for the packages install on a PC that one would be doing an
>> > update on?
>>
>> This won't work.  yum checks across ALL packages for dependencies and
>> conflicts.  This is fairly complex, as a package may need another
>> package or be needed BY another package, all recursively, until all
>> dependencies are resolved.  So it isn't possible to predict ahead of
>> time which package headers are needed.  One reason that yum functions so
>> fast is BECAUSE it has a local copy of all of the headers.
>

>umm - yum only downloads the package headers that are either:
>1. not already in the cache
>or
>2. not already an installed package.
>
>it never downloads what it already has.
	Again, I beleive I understand this, just from watching what yum check-update and friends do, my first throught is about the first update, alot of bandwidth can be used just bring an installation up todate, which maybe this belongs in the HOWTO ( which I have not seen a url on the mail list [ have not looked on the homepage just yet ] )
	I think what I am getting at, the update could only download headers for installed packages, unless more packages are needed to update than what already is installed ... ( don't flame me, it's just an idea, which once the  first update is done, makes very little if no benefit onces all teh headers are on the computer, I mean, maybe two or three packages a week are really updated, which would mean almost no gain ) ...

Thanks
Mailed
Lee