[Yum] first pass at newbie doc

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Michael Stenner wrote:

> I saw someone (maybe you) mention something like this earlier and
> refrained from comment.  Firstly, and not my main point, it's not
> really a daemon.  It's just a cron job.

you're right, i was being lazy in my terminology.  i'm just so used
to applying "chkconfig" to daemons.

> Now, my main point: I think it is in general a BAD BAD BAD idea to
> give the impression that running yum from cron is something that
> experienced admins should do and beginners should be wary of.
> Beginners are less likely to understand and appreciate the importance
> of getting your (security) updates quickly.

let me clarify.  what i wanted to suggest was, just for beginners,
to turn it off so they have something to *practice* on.  if they
don't, they'll install yum, maybe get distracted for a day or two,
and come back only to find that their system is completely updated
and there's nothing for them to try.

i'd be happy with a big caveat of something like, "once you're done
playing, make sure you turn it back on!!!".  or something to that
effect.

rday