[Yum] first pass at newbie doc

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:

> rpjday said:
>
> > **** Installation
> > - list of pre-requisite RPMs here
>
> python
> rpm-python
> rpm >= v4.1.1
> libxml2-python

sorry, i just meant that i was *going* to list the pre-reqs there.
just being lazy.

> > For advanced yummers (and covered later somewhere), you can
> > build your own repositories with
> >
> >   /usr/bin/yum-arch
>
> Don't forget to mention yum-arch is expecting an argument.

i wouldn't be expecting to even get *remotely* into yum-arch at
this point, even to the extent of saying it needed an argument.
i'd save that for later.

> > (is it worth suggesting turning off the yum daemon for the
> > time being until one gets more familiar with running it
> > manually?)
>
> I don't see the point of it with the cron job that is installed in
> /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron (or am I missing something?)

but turning off yum removes the lock file so that the cron job
doesn't actually end up doing anything -- that's what i was getting
at.  or am i misunderstanding something?

# service yum status
# service yum stop
# chkconfig yum off

that sort of thing. i just wanted to emphasize that one shouldn't let yum
operate automatically until one is comfortable with how it works manually.

> > (question: AFAICT, a repository must have a top-level
> >  headers/ directory, but the associated RPMs directory
> >  need not be at the same level.  what's the flexibility here?)
>
> Seems to be fairly flexible.  The way I have it set up now, there is a
> repository root with a headers/ directory in it, and below the repository
> root there may be a number of nested subdirectories with packages.  yum-arch
> will index the relative paths and also what architecture each package is
> built for so the client can choose the package that best fits.

hmmm ... i'm going to have to look at that a bit more carefully.  i
suspect figuring out how yum-arch works would help.  all i wanted was
to explain to a newbie what a repository directory structure might look
like.

rday