[Yum] yum/rpm group question

> OK, so yum installgroup Frog would install all the mandatory+default
> pkgs in group Frog as defined in comps.xml, including mandatory groups
> and mandatory or default metapkgs, but ignores optional pkgs and
> metapkgs (right)?  Does this mirror kickstart behavior?

yes.

> Remember, my
> goal is to create a list of "installed package groups" according to yum,
> determine the list of the packages that are members of those groups that
> would be installed by yum and/or kickstart if those groups were
> installed, determine the list of "remainder" packages that would not be
> installed just by installing the groups, and eventually output something
> like:

you know, it'd be a lot easier to do this.

do a yum grouplist installed
that tells you all the groups you have installed.

the top of yumcomps.py will tell you what it takes for a group to be
considered 'installed'

Then go through each of the installed groups, weed out a list of
packages. Then mask that against your entire set of installed packages
(uniq'ing on pkg name+arch), then you have the list of packages not in a
group that you need to add.

> The kickstart itself does the map from group+package list to package
> list; alas there is no tool I've seen that does the reverse, in spite of
> its obvious utility.  In fact, it would be lovely if a toolset existed
> that at all times maintained a "kickstart image" of the system so that
> it could always be easily reconstructed even if one adds a bunch of
> packages by hand after the original install, ks or otherwise.

that's what yum grouplist installed  does.

it will list the groups that would be considered 'installed' on your
system.
-sv