[Yum] A couple of problems and RFE for Yum

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 14:51, Rick Thomas wrote:
> It it very important that the update be atomic.
>
> One must write to a scratch file-name in the same filesystem as the file
> you intend to replace, then set the last-write date, then rename it to
> the old name.  If you write to the same file your are replacing,  during
> the actual write the file is incomplete and the date is not the same as
> the old file.  Anyone who inquires during the write will get the wrong
> date and an an incomplete file.

yum writes into a .newheaders dir then does a move of headers to
.oldheaders the .newheaders to headers.

it's not quite atomic - but it's as close as you can get on any
filesystem.

> I haven't looked at the code so I don't know how it is actually done.
> But Seth is very smart, so I assume that he is doing it correctly.
> Also, if he weren't he would be hearing all the time from unhappy users
> about inconsistent results.

hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you've clearly not met me if you're calling me smart ;)

-sv