[Yum] A couple of problems and RFE for Yum

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:53:31AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >   Create in memory or on a temporary file, compare content, then discard
> > or actually update. Seems you're recreating the full header directory from
> > scratch, okay that works too.
>
> so I should open the current header(s) and compare the content? Why do 2
> reads? I can just overwrite and the ones that are the same stay the
> same.

  That works too as long as the timestamp is preserved and update is atomic.
Now between 2 read and one read and one write (because most of the time from
cron you would not write again) the performances can be argued ( if you
use NFS changing inodes is really not a friendly thing to do :-),
  I was really not thinking about performances but about cache, if we
start deploying yum in the large scale keeping the cache happy is quite
important, I noticed that yum-arch regenerates everything so, I'm
wondering about this. To me this is especially important for the
header.info files, I just don't want to kill the servers once I integrate
Yum support in the rhn_applet and breaking the HTTP cache then means
paying the full cost for a new transfer instead of a 304 without content,
i.e. you loose at least one order of magnitude in scalability.

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/