[Yum] script run idea

I should probably not be commenting, but I will anyway.  ;)

The groundswell of popularity of XML reminds me of the groundswell
of popularity of Perl some years ago.  (This isn't to say that
Perl is any less popular today.)  There seemed to be this sense
of "Perl will solve everything you need," to the point of excess.
One individual even proposed the notion of a Perl shell.

Going back in time, there was a similar groundswell with C++.
"Rewrite everything" was the mantra du jour.

To take another cut on this, perhaps the format of /etc/hosts,
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and so on should be changed to XML.
And everything which interfaces with those files changed to suit.

Yes, this was an attempt at reductio ad absurdum.  ;)

>From another perspective, let me submit the following.  I'm on the
nagios-users (www.nagios.org) mailing list.  There have already
been a few discussions encouraging the author to rewrite Nagios
so that the config files are in XML.  Because of the modular
nature of Nagios, the "path of least resistance" option which
seemed to rise to the top, was one of letting someone write
a preprocessor.  This preprocessor would parse XML files and
produce native Nagios config files.  This has 2 benefits:  it
allows the core developers to continue working on Nagios without
getting sidetracked, and it will (eventually) allow XML
folks to work within their familiar domain.

The yum project doesn't appear (to me) to be on the same level
of development complexity as Nagios, so the preprocessor approach
might not be appropriate.  I only make the suggestion as an alternative
to help resolve the "less filling" vs. "tastes great"  debate.  ;)

jc