[Yum] yum vs up2date in the future

Troy Dawson wrote:

> Because one of the main reasons people use RedHat is that they are big,
> they have a huge install base with both people who pay, and people who
> don't (take us for example, we don't pay them anything and we have
> several thousand machines with it on).

I completely agree. The more users there are, the more likely there will
be someone who has experienced and hopefully solved any serious problem
you run into.  That is certainly a big motivator for me.

> If you are wondering how the opensource community could retaliate,
> picture it this way.  Let's say we at Fermilab switch from RedHat to
> Mandrake.  We change our couple thousand machines.  But then the various
> Universities (about 100-150 thoughout the world) wouldn't get help on
> their RedHat stuff that we provide, and would eventually switch to
> Mandrake as well.

This kind of information is important.  I didn't know the extent of Red
Hat usage in the university world since it was very many years ago for me.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my oddball question.

> *Troy looks at all this and laughs* Maybe I should have gone into
> economics instead of Physics.

Hehe, well, I guess at the deepest levels in both fields, no one knows
what the hell is really going on yet ;)

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Wake up, baby, cause I'm coming to you from the future -- D Wyndorf