[Yum] yum vs up2date in the future

Red Hat recently made it less convenient to use up2date for free (they
now require an online survey to be filled out every 60 days).  This
follows what I perceive to be a trend to herd Red Hat users into
subscription services the higher priced packages.

Also, Yum appears to be almost a drop in replacement for both up2date
and the Red Hat Network Proxy server, which they sell for over $1000
(last time I checked).

And, since Red Hat is a business, they will natually want to maximize
"shareholder value" over the long term.

As a new yum user (and it is fantastic BTW), does anyone else see yum as
a potential threat to the Red Hat Network and does anyone think Red Hat
may take steps to make yum less effective in the future?

They could do things like make tricky changes to RPM (yes, I know we
have the source), or delay patches to the public FTP servers, or even
stop posting patches to the public FTP servers.

I am probably being overly paranoid, but I wonder if anyone else in the
yum community has thought about things like this or talked to Red Hat
about their position regarding yum or yum-type programs and services.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Wake up, baby, cause I'm coming to you from the future -- D Wyndorf