[Yum] gpg public keys

> I don't see it -- this complexifies a simple design --
> generally a bad idea in a *nix world.

good word.

> 1.  	Why re-invent the wheel in yum for a key import task which
> rpm already does?
>
> A yum command line version just introduces a possibility for
> error it it does anything but wrapper the appropaite rpm
> command (probably something along the lines of:
> 	rpm -Uvh gpg-key-RHL-2345678.noarch.rpm
> 		)

I think the general idea I've had is to discourage people from using rpm
so they never learn of evil commands like --nodeps and --force

So if they do a lot of functions through yum then they stop thinking
about it through other interfaces. It's sorta like how no one uses dpkg
for installations.

> 2. Lots of 'ugly' stuff appears in a raw rpm-qa to the
> uninitiated eye but this true lots of places.  It is sometimes
> good to be ugly -- if you start hiding detail, except pursuant
> to a documented yum.conf file setting, or a -q option, you
> prevent external clients from being able to use yum in a
> command pipeline subshell to do things you and I've not even
> dreamed of, yet.

I'd be inclined to agree. So I might still do an importkey mechanism -
but probably not filter the gpg pubkeys.

In fact, it could be very handy to list them come to think of it.

now all I need to find out is if I can specify only certain pubkeys to
be used during checking.

That'd be terribly handy.

-sv