[Yum] gpg public keys

On 6 Mar 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> Now keys are stored in the rpmdb, they're dealt with by beecrypt, they
> don't require gpg, etc etc.
>
> But, if you do an rpm -qa you'll see them in your list.
>
> I'm thinking about screening them out of the yum list output.
> Also thinking about making it so key imports could be handled via the
> yum command line. (not sure about this one, yet)
<snip>
> Comments, suggestions?

I don't see it -- this complexifies a simple design --
generally a bad idea in a *nix world.

1.  	Why re-invent the wheel in yum for a key import task which
rpm already does?

A yum command line version just introduces a possibility for
error it it does anything but wrapper the appropaite rpm
command (probably something along the lines of:
	rpm -Uvh gpg-key-RHL-2345678.noarch.rpm
		)

2. Lots of 'ugly' stuff appears in a raw rpm-qa to the
uninitiated eye but this true lots of places.  It is sometimes
good to be ugly -- if you start hiding detail, except pursuant
to a documented yum.conf file setting, or a -q option, you
prevent external clients from being able to use yum in a
command pipeline subshell to do things you and I've not even
dreamed of, yet.

-- Russ Herrold