[Yum] More suggestions...

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > yum-arch doesn't at ANY TIME need a yum.conf file so a repo=20
> doesn't need
> > any editing of the rpm.
>=20
> No, but setting up a LAN that will get yum from the repo and
> automaintain does, does it not.  What is the (deep) motivation for
> building the yum RPM if you're just going to install it on a single
> repository or system and not distribute clients for it?  Aside from
> being public spirited and all of that?
>=20
> In other words, doesn't just about everybody who installs yum as a LAN
> maintenance tool that DOESN'T run from the default dulug=20
> repository need
> to build an rpm?

Are you suggesting that the RPM be rebuilt to accomodate a different =
yum.conf across the various hosts on the LAN?  I don't mean a unique =
yum.conf for each host, simply a common yum.conf across all hosts.

If this is what you're suggesting, I suppose you could do it that way.  =
I wouldn't.  I would push yum.conf from the trusted gold server, or make =
it part of a kickstart postinstall, or manage it through cfengine, or =
through various other mechanisms.  (Ref:  www.infrastructures.org )

If I've misunderstood you, just bump this to /dev/null.  :)

jc