[Yum] RPM directory of hard links

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:39:07PM +0530, Murali Potla wrote:
> I have put up a repository for apt and yum on my lan.
> I have made hard links for the all the rpm files under the RPMS
> directory.
> When i am generating headers for these RPMS (which are hard linked to
> the original files) I am getting a bunch of warning messages like
> dupe pkg: os/noarch/squirrelmail-1.2.11-1.noarch.rpm
>
> My directory structure is like this
> updates ---> RPMS (hard links to the files under os/i*86)
> 	     headers
> 	     os ---> i386        (real RPMS exist here)
> 		     i686
> 		     noarch
>

> even -l will not remove these messages
> I am using Red Hat 8.0, rpm 4.1.1, yum-2.0-2 on the repository server.
> What shall i do now ?

You asked this before and I have the same response that I did then.

1) these _are_ duplicated packages.  You refer to them as "original"
   and "link" but there is physically no such distinction.  Neither is
   more orignal than the other except for the order that the inodes
   were created, which is irrelevant.

2) why do you want hard links.  Do they offer some advantage that
   symbolic links do not in this case?  Unless you can offer some

3) it would be possible to make yum ignore multiple inodes pointing to
   the same data (which is what hard links are) but it would not be
   trivial.  Before making modifications to the code, I would want to
   be convinced that there's a good reason for it.

4) As I said in my previous email, why do you care?  yum-arch is
   doing the right thing.  You have duplicated packages and it's only
   including unique ones.  That's what you want, right?

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx