[Yum] HTTP/FTP Authentication

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:02:51AM +0400, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
> On ðÎÄ, 2003-07-28 at 04:00, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > OK, I have a new urlgrabber.py.  Here's what's changed:
> >
> > * user-agent support in both 1.x series and 2.x series (it was in 2.x
> >   but I changed how it is done).
> > * auth support for http[s] in the 2.x series.
> >
> Wow! Nice-Nice-Nice!

Thanks :)

> How about to add 'reget' support for both http and ftp?

I'll look into that.

> And i think it's a good idea to make separate project 'urlgrabber'
> cause not only yum project need a good downloader.

Hehe.  That was the main reason I changed the User-agent code.  It was
previously hardcoded as "yum/2.x" in urlgrabber.py.  It is now
settable via a function that you call immediately after importing so
the calling program can make it whatever it likes.  Perhaps I'll set
it up as a miniproject (http://linux.duke.edu/projects/).

The good/bad about urlgrabber:

good:
  * it acts like a simple stateless file retriever - no real setup or
    teardown is required (although it might be polite to close keepalive
    connections)
  * all urls are treated identically - ftp, http, https, file
  * support for conditional retries, progress meters, throttling,
    http keepalive (with the keepalive module)
bad:
  * certain types of downloads just don't work: dynamic data mostly,
    but that includes directory listings, etc.  This may be
    surmountable, but I haven't thought about it much because it's ok
    for yum.

> Thanks!

Glad you like it :)

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx