[Yum] Hard Links problem

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:36:24AM +0530, Murali Potla wrote:
> i mean yum. When i run yum for the first time on any client it taken
> around 10 minutes to download the headers. My repository consists of Red
> Hat 9, its updates , freshrpms (around 1500 packages).
> Is it a normal behavior ?

Here's the check.  Look at the total size of the headers and your
typical download rate.  if download_time >> total_size/typical_rate
then something strange is going on.

> > > When i am using hard links for the packages (because i need to sync the
> > > updates), its giving "ignoring dupe pkg" error.
>
> This problem is when generating headers using yum-arch on the
> repository. If all the files are real, then there is no problem.
> If the files are hard links to files in other directories its giving me
> the above error
> "ignoring dupe pkg" for all the packages

So, as far as yum is concerned, you have the same package in the same
repository multiple times.

1) why do you want to do this?

2) it's probably fixable, but not in a simple way.  Symlinks are nice
   because it's obvious that they're symlinks.  In order to recognize
   hard links, you need to be a little more clever.  The "fix" would
   probably be something like this:

   For each file, not its link count.  If it's greater than one,
   record its inode in a hash table (dict, in pythonspeak).  Then,
   when later discovering the same file, you'll see that you've
   already got that one.

Regardless, it probably gives you the correct behavior.  You really
don't need yum-arch to record those packages twice, so you shouldn't
really care.  Right?

> I using rpm-4.1 and python 2.2.1 which are shipped with 8.0
> Where can i get the updated rpm and yum ?

I don't remember about rpm, but you can usually find the newest yum at
the yum web page:  http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx