[Yum] plug in handlers (was: Kernel Updates)

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:12:05PM -0400, Eric V. Smith wrote:

> I'd like to propose that if this feature is added, it be implemented as
> "run all scripts in some directory", rather than "run the scripts
> specified in some config file".  This allows me to add scripts just by
> dropping files in, rather than having to modify some file that may or may
> not have other scripts specified in it.
>
> Sort of like /etc/profile.d versus modifying /etc/profile itself.

Maybe, but the scripts should probably be related to package names
(wildards allowed), so then you would need a directory for every
package name that you want to do special actions for.

And then the question of execution order is there again.

Maybe I still prefer an (ordered) list of scripts in a config file.

> I don't have any opinion on whether it be scripts or Python modules.
> Python is fine with me and we could have a richer interface, but I can see
> where people might want to have just normal scripts.  Maybe doing it in
> Python but also supplying a Python module that would execute scripts might
> be best?

For example.

If you look at apt-rpm, the allow LUA scripts, letting you have
access to some internal arrays etc.  With Python this is presumably
pretty simple to do.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx>