[Yum] plug in handlers (was: Kernel Updates)

>> Some days ago we had some discussion, when I proposed that handling of
>> "special cases", like kernel install/upgrades, should better not be
>> done via Yum "built-in" functions, but via external scripts and/or
>> external Python modules/functions (currently not possible).  Some
>> predefined scripts/functions could then be included with Yum, or
>> admins can write their own handler.  This would also cover your
>> request.
>
> Furthermore, it is a planned feature that will be going into the 2.1
> (development) branch.

I'd like to propose that if this feature is added, it be implemented as
"run all scripts in some directory", rather than "run the scripts
specified in some config file".  This allows me to add scripts just by
dropping files in, rather than having to modify some file that may or may
not have other scripts specified in it.

Sort of like /etc/profile.d versus modifying /etc/profile itself.

I don't have any opinion on whether it be scripts or Python modules.
Python is fine with me and we could have a richer interface, but I can see
where people might want to have just normal scripts.  Maybe doing it in
Python but also supplying a Python module that would execute scripts might
be best?