[Yum] Re: repository generation

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 06:23:58PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>  yum-arch, right now, takes all the rpms, goes through them, and takes
> the newest of any pkgname+arch and puts those in the header.info file.
>
> Would it be useful for it to not take the newest of any pkgname+arch but
> instead take ALL of the rpms in the repository?
>
> I'm debating which of these two is most useful.
>
> should 'newest' only be something that is considered on the client and
> never on the server side?

Yes, please. This is a good addition to yum. There are the following
scenarios where this is useful:

o allow falling back to previous version with
  yum install foo=1.2.3
o allow complex requirements to be fullfilled, e.g.
  repo contains libtool-1.4.x and libtool-1.5.x and rpm has
  BuildRequires: libtool < 1.5
o The example above show an implicit wish, too: to have yum manage
  source repositories. BuildRequirements are more often incompatible
  within a set of packages than Requires.
  When yum starts managing source rpm installs and their dependencies
  it will be useful to have the total set of rpms to choose from.

I would nevertheless at least warn the user about (which) multiple rpms
exist in the repo.
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx