[Yum] Repository Prioritization

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 01:09, seth vidal wrote:
> for example: why not score a package or a repsository up if it has
> gpgcheck=1 on? Why not score a package higher on the list than another
> if it is from a specific packager? What about file:// repos getting a
> higher score than http or ftp repos?
[snip]
> So, describe to me, in more detail, what repository scoring mechanisms
> would be most reasonable to you and lets see what people can come up
> with.

I'm mostly looking for being able to explicitly score at the repository
level only. I'd like to put all rpms in repo A in front of all rpms that
have the same name in repo B. e.g. if freshrpms and fedora both have
package "foo" I want yum to pick the fedora rpm (regardless of foo's
version).

Reasons why you would want to do this..

1. You prefer one packager over another (for whatever reason: gpg, file
locations, time-to-package after a release, etc.).
2. You want to disallow non-distro repositories from updating distro
packages (e.g. redhat repos would have priority over fedora).

If you could assign a priority to each repository, then you should be
able to do package level (de)priorities as well by using the exclude
attribute. For example:

  fedora has foo-1.2-fedora1
  freshrpms has foo-1.1-fr1
  freshrpms has priority

In this case, I would want yum to pick the freshrpms rpm because it has
priority over fedora even though fedora has a more recent version. But,
let's say the foo package is an exception because I like fedoras
packaging better on that one. I should be able to add "exclude=foo" to
freshrpms and have yum pick up the fedora version instead.

Personally, I would want to stay away from intelligent/automatic scoring
based on attributes of the package/repo (the gpgcheck and file://
scoring you listed for example). I think it would become hard to
understand why yum picked one repo over another, and you would probably
also have to build in the ability to override the default scoring on the
command line and force yum to use a specific repo if you didn't like
it's choice. If instead you have the user explicitly control scoring
through a repository priority attribute then selection based on various
package/repo attributes should still be possible, it just wouldn't be
automatic.

Finally, I want to note again that everything described here is possible
with yum today with pkgpolicy=last and funny repository ids.

- Ryan