[Yum] Repository Prioritization

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 23:41, Ryan Tomayko wrote:
> I'm new, yum rocks, yadda yadda yadda...

you could be a touch more sincere about the 'yadda yadda yadda' ;)

> I've been prioritizing repositories using a naming scheme for repo ids
> in yum.conf (see below) where the first two characters of the id is a
> number from 00 to 99 and then I have pkgpolicy set to "last" instead of
> "latest". The result is that I'm able to say repo A rpms always get
> pulled before repo B rpms when the same rpm is available in more than 1
> repo. I'm sure this has come up before but for those who wonder wtf I
> need to do this for, freshrpms and fedora are constantly conflicting
> back and forth on a large number of rpms and I have a personal repo I
> want to trump both.

to me this is a reason to not have 5 repositories listed in your
yum.conf - simplify then you don't have to play games like this.

so if fedora has foo-1.1-1 and freshrpms has foo-1.1-2 and you have
foo-1.0-1

In the case you're describing foo-1.0-1 is the one you should see if you
do a yum list foo

Now if you have a newer foo installed than foo-1.0-1 then yum won't show
you anything other than the installed foo.

> This seems to be working pretty effectively but has some minor
> drawbacks.
>
> 1. yum.conf just seems kind of inelegant.
> 2. /var/cache/yum looks silly with all the number prefixes. (picky??
> bhaa!)
> 3. Changing a priority requires changing a repo id which means I have to
> do some manual work in /var/cache/yum. Otherwise I get stuck with
> orphaned headers and have to reget all headers from the repository.
>
> Am I way out in left field here or is this pretty much how others are
> handling this?
>
> Has anyone suggested putting a priority attribute on repositories?

Lots of people have made suggestions about prioritizing repositories
both based on arbitrary and scored rankings what this comes down to is a
tidiness issue - how arbitrary do you get and how do you make it
functional to write in a config file.

for example: why not score a package or a repsository up if it has
gpgcheck=1 on? Why not score a package higher on the list than another
if it is from a specific packager? What about file:// repos getting a
higher score than http or ftp repos?

At just the repository level if you want to have arbitrary scores on
repositories that's fairly trivially doable. But I'm trying to make sure
yum doesn't end up with a lot of bizarre prioritization mechanisms
resulting in a godawful mess.

So, describe to me, in more detail, what repository scoring mechanisms
would be most reasonable to you and lets see what people can come up
with.

-sv