[Yum] Re: Recreating headers yields different files

> I wish that yum-arch could do that without a workaround, of course,
> e.g. timestamping the hdr files (both internally in the gzip header and the
> file itself) with the timestamp of the originating rpm. yum-arch could even use
> this to not bother extracting the header out of an rpm, if the corresponding
> hdr file with the right timestamp exists (the evr is encoded in the name
> anyway).

counting on the filename and timestamp to make sure the data inside it
is right is fairly dangerous. touch -t is just too simple to use and a
damaged header could be rife with problem causing.

So the next option would be to read and check the header vs the one in
pkgs. But at that point you'rew doing two hdr reads and other than
keeping from writing the data out you're not saving yourself anything.

it's a no fun case. maybe I should include michael's patch.

<grumble>
I'll think more about it.

-sv