[Yum] Re: Recreating headers yields different files

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 04:58:40PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > it uses the current time. If you ask google for
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dgzip+modification+time
> > you get as the first document
> > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1952.txt
> > which describes the gzip format:
>=20
> Right, so I looked at the gzip module in python and the zlib module and
> I came shockingly to the conclusion that controlling or disabling time
> stamping on the gzip call is not possible in those libraries.

Maybe writing first the file, timestamping it and then gzipping it?

> having said that for 1.7GB worth of distro data the headers occupy 17M.
> Not exactly a heavy load for an rsyncing host.
> less than 2s at 100Mbps

That's correct, only that you need to pull all of these 17MB each time
anything changed (like adding a new package, which for my repo has a mean s=
ize
of 1.3MB). Even so, it isn't that critical, I just thought I spotted someth=
ing
that can be optimized (thinking here more of web caching than rsyncing).
--=20
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY--