[Yum] RE: problems using yum to upgrade from 8.0 to 9

> > >From Fedora's site, correct?  Is this a recommendation for=20
> all versions of RHL from 7.2 to 9?
>=20
> oh no no no.
>=20
> rhl 7.1-7.3 have rpm 4.0.4 and should stay there imo.
> 8.0 would need rpm 4.1.1 and 9 rpm 4.2-1

Good to know.  I'm not totally up on how code branching vs. =
versions/updates/revisions works out.

> fedora allows you to mirror all of their content which would=20
> reduce your
> traffic b/c you'd only be transferring the changed bits once :)

Thought about that, too.  First, I won't be able to use rsync (thanks to =
the corporate firewall), but I've had pretty good success with wget =
elsewhere.  Second point is this:

$ df
/dev/sda2             49439044  43762512   3165172  94% /
/dev/sda1               101089     13761     82109  15% /boot
none                    257080         0    257080   0% /dev/shm

Think I could fit a fedora mirror into a 3MB slot?  ;)

The hardware is a Dell 2450 with RAID 5 spanning 4 disks.  Adding more =
internal disks isn't an option.  I've thought about plugging it into the =
SAN, but a) I don't have a mandate to do it, and b) I don't have budget =
for getting a JNI card.

Hence the desire to just snarf the one RPM.  And possibly other =
miscellaneous RPMs as they come along.

> go talk to warren togami about it. He's the guy leading things over
> there.

*nods*

> > 3) I take it that by merely adding the path/repository to yum.conf
> > (and to sources.list, for the apt folks), that yum (apt-get) will be
> > able to determine that the fedora.us version of rpm is 'preferred',
> > for lack of a better term...?  (I think I'm showing my ignorance of
> > the capabilities of rpm here.)
>=20
> it's all up the version of the rpm - or if you pkgpolicy=3Dlast - what
> order your repositories are in your yum.conf

Aha, interesting.  So with pkgpolicy=3Dnewest, then if Red Hat comes out =
with a newer version of rpm, that'll replace the fedora version.  Then I =
guess fedora will have to bump up their version, etc.  ;)

> You're definitely on the right track.=20
>=20
> go to rpm.org and get some ideas.
>=20
> Ask on this list - the rpm.org maintainer russ herrold is on=20
> here and I
> think he is around to answer questions about things from time to time.
>=20
> we've been using rpm for distro maintenance at duke for a good while
> now. and I know a lot of folks on this list are doing a lot of good
> things with rpm on various platforms and distros.

I was on the nis-plus mailing list about this time last year.  I took a =
shot at building an RPM for that.  It seemed to do the trick, but I'm =
sure I may have overlooked the finer points of building RPMs.  I do know =
that I was beating my head against the wall, until I drilled down into =
the local RPM config files, only to realize a couple of features were =
being referenced (but not used) and they were breaking.  I kludged those =
and the RPM was created.  Even so, it did seem a little more obtuse than =
creating a Solaris package.  Hopefully by building a few more RPMs, =
that'll fix that.

On a related note, I don't suppose you're aware of anyone who has built =
RPMs for tomcat4 and/or JBoss...?

jc