[Yum] yum and firewalls again

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:45:07AM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> >>Well, I just tried ftp from my home machine which is behind an
> >>iptables-based nat-int firewall.  I KNOW active FTP isn't going to
> >>work from there.  From this I conclude that urllib2 uses passive ftp
> >>(as I suspected).  It leaves me at a loss as to what the problem could
> >>be with yum/urlgrabber/urllib2.
> >>
> >>As I said, I'd be willing to pursue this if you think it's a problem
> >>on "our end".  I recommend you start with these two things:
> >>
> >>1) use some other ftp client from that machine to grab the same file
> >>
> >>2) use urlgrabber directly to grab it, as in
> >>
> >>  python2 urlgrabber.py ftp://server.com/path/to/file local_copy
> >>
> >>See what happens with those.
> >
> > I bet he's using 1.0 - which doesn't have urlgrabber, yet, and doesn't
> > have urllib2 at all :)
>
> Doh ... I forgot to say that.  Yes, this is a 1.0 yum.  I've got to look, this
> might even be a 0.9x yum.

Eeek.  OK.  Then I recommend you work around it for now.  If you want
to see how it _will_ behave when urlgrabber gets into the 1.0 series,
just grab urlgrabber from a 2.0 release and do waht I described
above.  Make sure you run python1.5, though.  It will be exactly the
same file.  It's written to work for 1.5 and 2.x (although with some
added capabilities for 2.x).

If it works, then it will probably work in a soon-to-come 1.x series
release.  If it doesn't work, then that's interesting and we should
fix it.  (this is all assuming that it's a yum issue in the first
place).

				-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx