[Yum] yum and firewalls again

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:20:01AM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> So I guess my big question is, does anyone know the step by step details of
> what goes on when yum/python tries to get a file via ftp?

The person with the best understanding of that is me.  If you can get
access to this machine, I'd be willing to help you do some test and
send you some code to test with.  However, if this needs to be through
some other persom, the pain/benefit ratio might be getting a bit too
high.

> I'm thinking that the only way we are going to fix this is for them to poke
> holes for our two servers in thier firewall, but if there is anything we can
> do to do a little less than that, we'd appreciate any ideas.

Well, I just tried ftp from my home machine which is behind an
iptables-based nat-int firewall.  I KNOW active FTP isn't going to
work from there.  From this I conclude that urllib2 uses passive ftp
(as I suspected).  It leaves me at a loss as to what the problem could
be with yum/urlgrabber/urllib2.

As I said, I'd be willing to pursue this if you think it's a problem
on "our end".  I recommend you start with these two things:

1) use some other ftp client from that machine to grab the same file

2) use urlgrabber directly to grab it, as in

  python2 urlgrabber.py ftp://server.com/path/to/file local_copy

See what happens with those.

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx