[Yum] yum on rh62 experiences

Hi,

I just installed yum-1.0-1_73 on a machine running Red Hat Linux 6.2. I
had to edit the .spec file to lower the rpm dependencies from 4.0.4 to
4.0.2 before I could recompile the src.rpm. Thanks for Seth for the tip.
(BTW there seems to be rpm 4.0.4 packages at rpm.org, but at least for
me installing the required popt package would have removed some crucial
packages lika passwd to install... Does anyone have any
thoughts/experiences on this?).

Here's my experiences, if someone is interested:

Yum installation gives some errors:

--<snip>--
Executing RPM (-Uvh)...
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
   1:yum                    ###########################################
[100%]
error reading information on service yum: No such file or directory
error reading information on service yum: No such file or directory
yum: unrecognized service
--</snip>--

I can verify that /etc/rc.d/init.d/yum was not created. That is not
anything critical, though.

When running 'yum update' I got this error when installing a new kernel:

--<snip>--
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: kernel.i686]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
kernel 100 % done
depmod: invalid option -- i
depmod 2.4.0
depmod -[aA] [-n -e -v -q -V]
      [-C configfile] [-F kernelsyms] [-b basedirectory]
[forced_version]
depmod [-n -e -v -q] [-f kernelsyms] module1.o module2.o ...
If no arguments (except options) are given, "depmod -a" is assumed

depmod will output a dependancy list suitable for the modprobe utility.
depmod -a will find the list of modules to probe from the file
/etc/modules.conf. It will output the result into the depfile specified
in this configuration file

depmod -A is the same as depmod -a, but will first compare the
timestamps
of the files involved to see if the depfile needs updating.

Normally depmod operates silently, reporting only the list of modules
that
won't load properly (missing symbols).

    -a, --all            Probe modules listed in /etc/modules.conf
    -A                   Like -a, compares timestamps first
    -q, --quiet          Don't report missing symbols
    -e, --errsyms        List unresolved symbols for the given module
    -s, --syslog         Report errors using syslog
    -v, --verbose        Print all visited modules
    -n, --show           Write the dependency file on stdout only
    -r, --root           Allow root to allow modules not owned by root
    -V, --version        Print the release version
    -h, --help           Print this usage message

The following options are useful for people managing distributions:
    -b basedirectory
        --basedir basedirectory    Use an image of a module tree.
    -C configfile
        --config configfile        Use the file instead of
                                   /etc/modules.conf.
    -F kernelsyms
        --filesyms kernelsyms      Use the file instead of the
                                   current kernel symbols.
Kernel Updated/Installed, checking for bootloader
Lilo found - adding kernel to lilo and making it the default
Installed:  kernel.i686
Transaction(s) Complete
--</snip>--

I wonder what depmod command yum was trying to run...?

Otherwise, yum seems to work nicely on RH62.

Regards,
Peter