[Yum] 'yum upgrade' unexpected behaviour

> 1. yum update
>
> went fine
> and give this as its last line:
>
> package newpg needs libpth.so.14 (not provided)

libpth is being updated to a different version or obsoleted and will
soon not be there. Therefore newpg won't need one of its requirements.

> I figured, nice yum detects broken dependencies, while updating.
>
> 2. yum list updates

so to be clear - yum list updates and yum update are parallel but yum
list updates and yum upgrade are not - upgrade considers obsoletes,
updates does not.

So if you look at that list here is what happens:

yum updates the system - it gathers that it should update pth.

newpg depends on libpth.so.14
pth is being updated to 2.0.0 - no longer libpth.so.14
so it's not that any of the packages that will be installed have a
broken depedency its that newpg (which is currently installed) will be
broken.

> This puzzles me, since I don't think every package in the upgrade list
> needs 'libpth' so why does it stop?

It stops b/c something in that set of pkgs has an undetermined
dependency.

> It would be nice if it just ignored all packages depending on this and
> mentioning something like this:
>
> broken dependency: libpth.so.14
> package newpg needs libpth.so.14 (not provided)
> etc.

Ok - but then what - remove pth from the update list, ok, then
recalculate deps based on that trans. That is not default behavior I'd
want. Maybe *MAYBE* as an option but I don't like the idea of leaving
something unupdated in a surprising way to the user when yum succeeds
w/o an error code.

> So yum apparently knows it's installed, why does it mention the error
> then ?

b/c it's being updated away.

pth2.0.0 is being updated away from pth 1.4 - so newpg ( which you have
installed) needs pth 1.4 not pth > 1.4

so you end up with a broken dep on newpg.

when you update pth 1.4 with pth 2.0 you end up NOT having pth 1.4 -
there is the source of the dep problem.

-sv