[Yum] traceback encountered

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 09:08:26AM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Connie Sieh wrote:
>
> > As long as we are talking about the first pass to get the headers.  I have
> > seen it just stop alot.  I installed yum on my system at home.  It has a
> > cable modem.  Yum would download a few headers and then stop.  I would
> > restart it and it would get a few more.  I resorted to getting them via
> > ncftp.
> >
> > I was thinking that we might have to package up the headers as a rpm and
> > install it when we install yum.  This will thus seed the cache and yum
> > will then only have to get new headers.
>
> Absolutely fabulous idea -- I was thinking something similar but didn't
> think of it being a "pre" rpm, just a tarball.  I also run installs from
> home over DSL and the system I borked was a DSL install.  It is a heck
> of a lot easier (and faster) to install just one big file than a lot of
> little files and just do the updates.
>
> The rpm (or tarball) could probably be generated at the same time as the
> headers themselves, by the same script.

To take this one step further...  yum could detect whether it should
get them all separtely, or just download the tarball.  That way, after
a fresh install or a "clean headers" it would just say "oh... I don't
have _any_ headers.  Let's just get the tarball".  This wouldn't be
hard, would it, Seth?

It seems that a tarball is probably more logical.  What would the
header-rpm name be?  What would the version be?  What about
header-rpms from two different repositories?  rpm comes with too much
baggage for this application IMHO.

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxx