[Yum] future stuff, again

seth vidal wrote:

> I think as troy put it was good.
>
> yum update - update only - if its not update-able then error out.
> yum install - update if its installed already, otherwise just install -
> however, if its installed and current then bail with a "this is
> installed, you dolt." error.

Just for the record, that wasn't me that said that.  I said

yum update <package>
(package not installed) nothing - but say that the package isn't installed
(package installed can be updated) update the package

yum install <package>
(package not installed) install the package
(package installed can be updated) update the package

What you have up there doesn't address the problem of someone wanting to
upgrade and install at the same time with mixed packages.  (such as 'yum
install kde*')

Whatever you do at this point I don't care, as long as there is a way to make
the other way default in the yum.conf file.

> Connie/Troy:
>  regarding mirroring - tell me again the situation you're in and how you
> want to deal with it, then I can see if I can actually implement
> mirroring in yum where it will be helpful to you/others.

Right now we have two machines that are essentially mirrored (actually rsynced
in a regular basis).  Right now if you have two machines in your conf file,
and one of them is dead, then the whole yum transaction dies.

It would be nice to have a list of machines, or URL's for one server, so that
if one isn't up, it can just skip to the next one.

This isn't as critical as it was before.  With my cron script, we not only
check the server, but we load balance the load. (So with approximatly 40
testers we have about 20 hitting each server each night)
But it would still be a nice feature.

Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group