[Yum] comps.xml support

<humbleopinion>
Branch it, with new developments going into the 2.2-requiring version
and bugfixes going into both old and new for a few months.  This, of
course, assumes it isn't possible to maintain compatibility for the
current features and only pull in the 2.2 requiring code when 2.2 is
available (I don't know enough about Python to know if this is feasible).
</humbleopinion>

Installation of Python 2.2 isn't incredibly difficult in most
environments and circumstances (though it does make it hard to provide
backwards support for Red Hat 6.2, since 6.2 isn't as easily upgradeable
to Python 2.2 via RPM--and since I have a number of machines running Red
Hat 6.2 that I'm going to be upgrading to 7.3 via Yum once the testing
phase is over, this matters to me a bit).  Python 2.2 SRPMS can be
rebuilt for Red Hat 7.2 easily, and probably 7.0/7.1 as well.  Since
I've just done a flawless upgrade of 7.2 to 7.3 using the current yum
release, I'm not afraid of any problems on 7.x machines (because I can
use the current yum to upgrade to a Red Hat version that can easily have
python 2.2).  ;-)

Don't let backwards compatability hold back progress if you can't avoid
breaking it.  Since Red Hat has been pretty aggressive about killing
backwards compatibility in RPM in the past (and shows no sign of slowing
the breakage), it would be impossible for something that relies on RPM
so much to maintain a higher level of backwards compatibility.  But Red
Hat are also good about rolling back requirements to all supported
versions (which 6.2 will be for a while yet, I hope).  So whatever is
required to work with new RPM versions will likely make it on back to
6.2.  Users of other Linux distributions might not have such luck, though.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Web caching appliances and support.